Emancipation Park was named in commemoration of the July 3rd, 1848 emancipation of slaves in the Danish West Indies. On the west side of the park is a conch blower statue which also commemorates emancipation; and a reproduction of the Liberty Bell (every U.S. state and territory has a copy of the Bell). A bust of Denmark’s King Christian IX is situated in the middle of the park. Adjacent to the north side is Grand Galleria; opened in 1840 as the Commercial Hotel and Coffee House. In its heyday the Hotel was the accommodation of distinguished and well-to-do visitors. It remained a hotel until 1975. Renamed Grand Galleria in 2000, it currently houses shops and restaurants.