The two-story Legislature Building houses the offices of the Virgin Islands Legislature. The original building was a wooden structure erected in 1828 as barracks for Danish police. The present building is a reconstruction and was completed in 1874. Roman numerals MDCCCLXXIV and the Danish coat-of-arms crest can be seen on the building. In 1917, the ceremonies transferring ownership of the Danish West Indies to the United States were held in the courtyard. Between 1917 and 1930 it served as barracks for the U.S. Marine Corps and then as a public school. In 1956 it was restored and occupied by the Legislature and the Department of Social Welfare. From about 1970 to present time the building has served solely as the Legislature.