The Lutheran Church is identifiable by its pretty yellow-gold color and its large 'welcoming arms' staircase. The initial congregation was founded in 1666 by Danish minister Kjeld Jensen who arrived on St. Thomas on an expedition to colonize the island. The first services were held in homes of planters and soldiers, and later in the confines of Fort Christian. The original sanctuary opened in 1793. It replaced two earlier buildings that were destroyed by fire. It was refurbished in 1826 and again in 1870. The church is still in use today. It is the oldest church building on St. Thomas and the second oldest Lutheran Church building in the Western Hemisphere.