Government House

http://www.vinow.com/media/reviews/photos/thumbnail/475x266c/6a/ac/ad/88-government house-82-1439432149.jpg
Government House

A beautiful example of Danish colonial architecture, Government House illustrates the grandeur of Danish buildings from the period when 'sugar was king' in the West Indies. Government House is an imposing building located on the lower King Street area and is hard to miss. A large welcoming arm staircase graces the entrance of the building and leads up to an arch bearing the date 1830.

This building is one of the largest governor’s residences in the Lesser Antilles. Inside are reproductions of the original furniture. These furnishings were a gift from the Danish government who took the originals with them when they left in 1917. In 1871 the capital of the Danish West Indies was moved to Charlotte Amalie however Government House continued to serve as a government building and today it is the focal point of many government social and cultural events. The building was originally the site of a Danish merchant’s home. This home was purchased and merged with another house to form the present government house.

  • Legend
  • Attractions
  • Beaches
  • Hiking Trails
  • Airport/Ferry

Stay up to date with news from VInow.

Sign up to receive Virgin Islands articles, updates and offers.

Advertise with Us

Join VInow.com Today!

Connect with travelers that are planning their vacations right here, right now. More >>

Sister Sites

VI Olympic Team

Proud Supporter

For over 45 years, the Virgin Islands has celebrated the Olympic tradition by sending our athletes to compete. More >>