Important Notice, September 2017: Hurricanes Irma and Maria have caused widespread damage in the U.S. Virgin Islands. We look forward to welcoming you back to our islands as soon as we can. Please follow the islands’ rebuilding and recovery on our VInow.com Recovery Blog.
VInow Logo
The Virgin Islands Best On-line Guide
Cruise Ship Schedule Ferry Schedule Forum

ascbear

Registered
01/26/2013

Anyone remember PineApple Beach ?

January 26, 2013 08:52PM

I was in St Thomas in August 1970 ( a mere 13 years old) I went to a beautiful beach called Pineapple Beach. I believe it was on the north side of the island. I heard that it was no longer there and condos were put there. Does anyone remember it ? What are the condos on the present site? Harry S Truman Airport is no longer on the island nor is The Virgin Islands Hilton Hotel (way up on a hill).

exit zero

Registered
04/03/2008

Re: Anyone remember PineApple Beach ?

January 26, 2013 11:02PM

In those days Pineapple Beach was a small hotel with Gunnite Concrete buildings - owned by the Pepperdine Family - it was razed and rebuilt in the 80's as the Virgin Grand by the Allen Williams Corp.
Went through a few management changes and is currently in disrepair and not operating. There are some condos back from the beach called Pineapple Village - mostly residential I think, although I do see some for rent.
The airport is newer and called Cyril E King airport - somewhat generic design and not the old Quonset Hut style.
The Hilton is gone and replaced with apartments.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/26/2013 11:04PM by exit zero.

ascbear

Registered
01/26/2013

January 27, 2013 03:27AM

Thanks. It is a shame pineapple beach was beautiful.

STT Resident

Registered
09/19/2005

January 27, 2013 08:35AM

Pineapple Beach (as it's known locally) is still there and is used by the condo owners/renters/vacationers at Pineapple Village. The main beach, Grand Bay, isn't used very much since the hotel has been sitting empty for so long. The Wyndham Group currently owns the property (the hotel, not Pineapple Village) and apparently plans to rebuild it as a timeshare property.

ascbear

Registered
01/26/2013

January 27, 2013 11:38AM

Thanks. Will have to stay at Pineapple Village so I can go to that beach again.

exit zero

Registered
04/03/2008

January 27, 2013 04:39PM

You don't need to stay there to use the beach.

Future Islander

Registered
01/17/2006

January 27, 2013 09:05PM

You can stay at the Point Pleasant Resort...next to Pineapple Beach...PM me for more info.

Fuure Islander

blaze

Registered
02/10/2008

January 27, 2013 10:10PM

Our first ever trip to STT about 7 years ago was at Point Pleasant and we used Pineapple Beach. We still visit each time we go, having lunch at Fungi (now called Jacks Bight). Its a easy walk down a stair step pathway from the lower parking area at Point Pleasant. The beach is not cleaned and has quite a lot of litter and debris but it is still a nice place to visit.

Jim and Mary

"Live is not about surviving the storm, it's about dancing in the rain"

Future Islander

Registered
01/17/2006

January 27, 2013 11:27PM

The restaurant at Point Pleasant is now called Panga.

Blaze, when are you coming back?

blaze

Registered
02/10/2008

January 29, 2013 09:32PM

Future Islander, we are maybe coming back to STT later this year. Our only son's wedding in June is a spring $$ priority. Please clarify the restaurant at Point Pleasant. Is Panga the rebirth of the Agave Terrace at Point Pleasant, or a new spin on Fungi and Jack's Bight? When we tried Jack's Bight last May, and it didn't hold a candle to Fungi. But we noticed Agave Terrace was closed at the time too. Have you tried Panga?

Jim and Mary

"Live is not about surviving the storm, it's about dancing in the rain"

Future Islander

Registered
01/17/2006

January 29, 2013 10:26PM

Jim & Mary:

I own a unit at Point Pleasant.

Jack's Bight closed on January 2nd and Panga opened on January 3rd.....(the old Fungi's location).

Yes, I've eaten there and it's pretty good. More renovations and expansions are coming.....live entertainment, too.

The Agave is expected to re-open later this year.....I don't know what the name will be.

F.I.

Mmb

Registered
11/28/2017

November 28, 2017 12:38AM

So great to find notes about the Pineapple Beach Club. In 1969 we spent our honeymoon there. We were 22 and 24 and couldn't even rent a car and a nice couple had rented a VW and took us with them sight seeing.
How we would like to return there and so sorry to hear that the resort no longer remains.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login / Register

Stay up to date with news from VInow.

Advertise with Us

Join VInow.com Today!

Connect with travelers that are planning vacations right here, right now. More

Virgin Islands Moving Guides

Updated information dedicated to Moving and Living in the USVI.

VI Moving Center

Living in de V.I. DVD

Virgin Islands Shopping

The largest section of Virgin Islands Books & Souvenirs. Start planning today!

VITraders.com

Official Sponsor
Team Virgin Islands
X