Important Notice, September 2017: Hurricanes Irma and Maria have caused widespread damage in the U.S. Virgin Islands. We look forward to welcoming you back to our islands as soon as we can. Please follow the islands’ rebuilding and recovery on our VInow.com Recovery Blog.
VInow Logo
The Virgin Islands Best On-line Guide
Cruise Ship Schedule Ferry Schedule Forum

Cindy P

BUSHWACKER drink RECIPE ?

October 30, 2005 10:13AM

While in St. Thomas, we had the BEST frozen drinks called BUSHWACKERS ! Does anyone know the original RECIPE?

I've seen them on web search with ice cream, and milk and all sorts of stuff but that just was NOT in what I am talking about! This was a frozen cocktail with alot of COCONUT RUM, IRISH CREAM, KAHLUA, AMARETTO, VODKA maybe, topped with whipped cream sprinkled with nutmeg...and we don't know the amounts of any of it. Does anyone?

slim
Re: BUSHWACKER drink RECIPE ?

October 31, 2005 03:49PM

You've got the right ingredients. Equal parts and blend over ice

InLoveWithStJohn

Registered
07/29/2005

October 31, 2005 04:11PM

Found this on woodysseafood.com

.5oz Baileys - .5oz Kahlua - .5oz Malibu Rum
.5oz Amaretto - .5oz Vodka - ice and blend

sumerwaters

Registered
09/28/2005

October 31, 2005 07:56PM

My husband loves the bushwacker frozen drinks. I found a premix bottle made by T.I.G.F. products at my local grocer. Just mix w ice in a blender--it tastes pretty close to those in the islands.

Bill L

Registered
01/20/2005

October 31, 2005 09:04PM

Go with slim's suggestion. If it's not quite right..Make some changes and blend up another batch.
You'll find what you’re lookin for.
Oh, and try frangelico in the mix too happy
Bill

Marty on STT

Registered
01/21/2005

November 01, 2005 09:07AM

When I was a bartender at the Mafolie, I got many rave reviews with this recipe:

Equal parts rum, vodka, Baily's, kahluah (sp?), amoretto, Chococo (chocalate liquer), Coco Lopez (cream of coconut), Frangelico, blend with ice, top with whipped cream, nutmeg and a cherry! Enjoy!

~Marty on STT
happy

Lysa

November 01, 2005 10:21AM

We use the Woody's drink recipes all the time. You can print them from their website. The Bushwacker is fantastic!

Jo Politano
Chococo

November 14, 2006 10:55PM

Where can I buy Chococo in PA?

Marty on STT

Registered
01/21/2005

Re: Chococo

November 15, 2006 07:30AM

I've never been to PA, but I would select a local liquor store and have them order it, it if they don't stock it. If that's not a possibiliy, I supose you could substitute a different brand chocolate liquer. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

~Marty on STT
happy

East Ender

Registered
01/20/2005

November 15, 2006 08:16AM

A true Bushwacker has no non-alcoholic ingredients. No ice cream, chocolate syrup, coco loco, etc. And if you want a USVI version, the rum must be CRUZAN! wink

little fishy

November 15, 2006 02:52PM

My husband & I are also in love with Buschwackers. We've found that we prefer the Buschwackers at the Coki Beach stand above all others. A few years ago they gave us their recipe:

Equal parts of:

Rum
Vodka
Amaretto
Kahlua
Baileys
Coco Lopez (cream of coconut)

Blend with ice and top with nutmeg.

mmmmm! We usually put an extra shot of kahlua & baileys for an extra kick! enjoy!

Tiah

December 06, 2006 12:01AM

little fishy is right except I beleive there is frangelico too.

little fishy

December 06, 2006 10:41AM

Nope, no frangelico... at least not in the Coki Beach version. mmm... I'm getting thirsty!

TrevorK

December 08, 2006 07:38PM

Dumb question: about how much ice do you put in the blender with the equal parts liquor in the Bushwacker? Sorry! I don't usually like blended drinks, but a Bushwacker sounds really good right now! =)

little fishy

December 13, 2006 03:37PM

that's a great question, one that i don't know the answer too. I usually just fill up the blender with booze, put some ice in and blend... if it needs more ice I'll add more.... I guess it also depends on the consistency that you like it.

srhod@sympatico.ca

December 17, 2006 04:13PM

Hi,
Hope someone can help;
We were Stoped St, Thomas while on a cruise
and was served a drink
called the Bushwacker,can anyone give me the recipy...
Thanks so much,
Shirley

Cherylanne
Re: Chococo

June 18, 2007 05:30PM

Where do you find chococo. Is there somewhere in the U.S.A because I have been looking for it.
and can't find it in the states

Bluwater

Registered
06/13/2005

June 19, 2007 03:41AM

The Beach Bar website (STJ) has recipes for their most famous drinks.

Here's the link to the Bushwacker recipe. I don't know how you guys drink this stuff and come home without gaining 50 lbs.....enjoy!

[www.beachbarstjohn.com]

~Blu

*Here is the link to the FAQ post with lots of links from former posts covering some of our most popular topics: [www.vinow.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/2007 03:41AM by Bluwater.

Connie

Registered
03/28/2006

June 19, 2007 08:14AM

LOL, blu....i had to laugh...

OR...

End up sleeping under a palm tree (not saying i've done that ;o))

Gari Ann in TX

Registered
03/31/2006

June 19, 2007 11:37AM

Blue, our reason we didn't gain 50 lbs was because we stayed at Point Pleasant and walked EVERYWHERE. happy LOL We walked and walked and walked. Sweated and walked. wink

george

June 19, 2007 01:59PM

Go to www.paradisepointtramway.com, scroll down to Home of the Bailey's Bushwacker, and click on Bailey's. Then scroll down to the end of that page, and on the right side is their recipe.

While you're there you can click on their Webcam and see the harbor and any ships that happen to be docked that day.

East Ender

Registered
01/20/2005

June 19, 2007 07:08PM

And I still say that a TRUE Bushwacker has NO fillers- Bailey's, Amaretto, Kahlua, Vodka, Rum, sometimes Frangelico or Grand Marnier. Proportions to suit the drinker, but Bailey's is the base.

Gerie

Registered
01/20/2005

June 19, 2007 09:54PM

I agree with East Ender. My understanding from years ago was that a virgin Bushwhacker was crushed ice. No Coco Lopez, No Hershey's. OK, maybe crushed ice with nutmeg.

Gerie

Bluwater

Registered
06/13/2005

June 19, 2007 10:04PM

ack. Gimme rum in seltzer with a wedge of lime - lots of rum, splash of seltzer happy

~Blu

*Here is the link to the FAQ post with lots of links from former posts covering some of our most popular topics: [www.vinow.com]

Little Fishy
WARNING!!!

June 20, 2007 12:40PM

*********WARNING!!!************

A few days ago I was missing the islands terribly and with summer finally here I thought it would be a good idea to mix up a batch of my favorite drink, the bushwacker!!! After about 3-4 cups the good time ended as I was hugging the toilet bowl!!! I forgot just how strong they are! Well duh, it has at least 5 different types of alcohol! While in the islands, my husband & I can drink them all day without really even catching a buzz. We think it has alot to do with the heat, sweating and how active we are while we're there. But back home they really sneak up on you!

So, word of caution everyone... they are basically alcohol and ice, becareful how much of them you drink unless want to end up hugging the toilet bowl like i did!!!

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login / Register

Stay up to date with news from VInow.

Advertise with Us

Join VInow.com Today!

Connect with travelers that are planning vacations right here, right now. More

Virgin Islands Moving Guides

Updated information dedicated to Moving and Living in the USVI.

VI Moving Center

Living in de V.I. DVD

Virgin Islands Shopping

The largest section of Virgin Islands Books & Souvenirs. Start planning today!

VITraders.com

Official Sponsor
Team Virgin Islands
X