St. John Beach Guide
Beautiful waters and wonderful white sand has made picturesque Trunk Bay one of the most popular beaches on St. John.
Salt Pond Bay is a beautiful bay with amazingly clear water.
Brown Bay, a relaxing find at the end of a trail on the Eastend.
A beautifully manicured beach, Great Cruz Bay is the location of the Westin Resort.
Most visitors and locals will agree that when it comes to beaches on St. John a 'good to best' scale just would not do. The scale for describing St. John's beaches is 'Great', 'Greater' and 'It's a secret so I am not telling anyone'. All beaches on St. John are open to the public. Beachfront property however, in many cases is private and a few popular beaches have hotels nearby. Respect private property when accessing beaches. It is illegal to collect shells from beaches in the Virgin Islands; shells are confiscated at airport customs. There are no clothing optional beaches in the Virgin Islands.
Beaches at a Glance
Click on Overview or Beach Name for more details.
Beach Information and Tips
- All beaches in the U.S. Virgin Islands are open to the public. Beyond a beach's tree line however is typically private property. Beaches with resorts onsite typically have a designated public access path. Resort amenities like chairs, watersports gear rentals and swimming pools are for registered resort guests only.
- There are no clothing optional beaches on St. John; public nudity is illegal.
- Removing shells from beaches on St. John is illegal.
- Don’t feed marine life or sea birds. Food not naturally in their diet, like various human foods, can create health problems for these animals.
- Protect yourself from the sun. Wear sun block, a hat and sunglasses.
- Sun, rum and fun can spell dehydration; drink plenty of water.
- Coral Reef 101 (Read about Coral Reefs.)
- The Queen Conch (You might see these marine critters.)
Northside Beach Map
Southside Beach Map
East End Beach Map
West End Beach Map
St. Thomas U.S. Virgin Islands
This gorgeous coffee table book features stunning photography of the people, places, culture and history of St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands. Photos are complemented by a brief description. This is a perfect vacation souvenir or gift for someone who loves the island.
Virgin Islands Newsletter Signup
Sign up now for our FREE Virgin Islands Now Newsletter and we will email you regular updates on what’s happening in the Virgin Islands & on VInow.com. You can unsubscribe at any time. Simply fill in the form below.