Taxis are a popular transportation choice for visitors to St. John. The most popular taxi vehicle used on the island is the open-air safari. They are basically converted trucks. The truck beds are customized with bench seating and a roof, the sides however are open-air.
Taxis on St. John are not metered, the rates are per person and per destination. Taxi drivers try to group people going in the same direction in order to be more efficient people-movers and to make more cash per trip. Sometimes drivers will wait around to see if they can solicit more customers. This means the customers they already have sit in the safari and wait for departure. You can request a private taxi just for you or your group; and there are some taxi drivers that only offer private taxis and tours. Private taxis have the benefit of operating on your time and schedule, and for that benefit they cost more than the standard per person rates in a shared taxi.
Taxi rates are set by the VI Taxicab Division with provisions covering luggage, waiting time, late night runs, and private taxis. St. John Taxi Rate Sheet and Provisions are provided below.
Note Regarding Taxi Rate Increases: New taxi rates went into effect on October 24th, 2022. The new published rates are below.
- Taxis are almost always available at the ferry dock in Cruz Bay (during regular ferry schedule hours) and also at hotels. They frequently wait for passengers at the taxi stand area at Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay.
- Licensed taxi vehicles are labeled with a taxi placard or dome light on the roof, license plates that indicate Taxi status, On Duty/Off Duty sign in the window of the vehicle and a sign, usually on the fender, indicating passenger capacity. The drivers personal identification/taxi license should be on the vehicles dashboard.
- Although rates are standardized it is recommended that you speak to the driver and agree to your total rate (for you, your group, your luggage, waiting, tour) before boarding the taxi.
- Many taxis are multi-destination, and some can carry up to 26 passengers; drivers will often wait to fill their vehicle before departing (particularly from the ferry dock and popular beach locations like Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay).
- See the Additional Taxi Charges Section after the rate sheets for sightseeing tour rates, luggage rates, private taxi rates, weekly rates and other information.
St. John Taxi Rate Tables
|CRUZ BAY TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+/Per Person
|Beth Cruz/Upper Deck||9.00||8.00|
|Chateau de Bordeaux||14.00||11.00|
|Desoto Bock House (East End)||38.00||23.00|
|George Simmonds Terrace||12.00||9.00|
|Goat Path/Maho Bay Beach||17.00||12.00|
|Great Cruz Bay||9.00||8.00|
|Little Maho Bay Campground||20.00||14.00|
|Rendezous Bay (Klein Bay)||15.00||10.00|
|Reef Bay Trail||14.00||11.00|
|Vie’s (East End)||38.00||25.00|
|CORAL BAY TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+/Per Person
|Blomingdale (Freeman Ground)||9.00||8.00|
|Caneel Bay (via Northshore)||20.00||14.00|
|Desoto Bock House (East End)||18.00||9.00|
|George Simmonds Terrace||14.00||11.00|
|John’s Folly School||9.00||8.00|
|Maho Bay Beach||12.00||9.00|
|Trunk Bay (via Centerline)||29.00||20.00|
|Trunk Bay (via North Shore)||14:00||11.00|
|Vie’s (East End)||12.00||11.00|
|GALLOWS POINT TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+/Per Person
|Maho Bay Beach/Goat Path||17.00||13.00|
|Maho Bay Campground||20.00||14.00|
|CANEEL BAY TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+/Per Person
|Chateau de Bordeaux||20.00||14.00|
|Coral Bay (Via Centerline)||27.00||15.00|
|Coral Bay (Via Northshore)||20.00||14.00|
|Lamishur (via Northshore)||35.00||20.00|
|Maho Bay Beach/Goat Path||15.00||11.00|
|Maho Bay Campground||18.00||13.00|
|Salt Pond (via Northshore)||30.00||18.00|
|WESTIN RESORT TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+/Per Person
|Chateau de Bordeaux||18.00||15.00|
|Maho Bay Beach/Goat Path||18.00||15.00|
|Maho Bay Campground||23.00||17.00|
|Neptune Landing/Windmill To/From:||1 PERSON||2+/Per Person
|Goat Path/Maho Bay Beach||20.00||17.00|
|Maho Bay Campground||27.00||20.00|
Additional Charges for St. John Taxi Service
- Unlisted Destination Charges: The charges to areas not listed in the above schedule shall be arrived at by using the nearest tariffed place crossed to the next tariffed place ahead, based on one nearest to the passenger’s destination.
- Kennel Charges: Large Kennel – $45, Small Kennel – $30.
- Round Trip Fares: Double the one-way fare plus waiting charges.
- Waiting Charges: $1.00 per minute. First five minutes free.
- Radio/Phone Call: One person, the fare plus one third of the basic fare. More than one person; add $2.00 to each passenger.
- Late/Odd Hour Charges: Between midnight and 6:00am, there shall be an additional charge of $3.00 per person.
- Exclusivity: Any person requesting a taxi exclusively for themselves: rate to be negotiated between the taxi operator and passenger(s).
- Luggage: A flat rate of $3 per bag shall be added to the fare for each passenger. The rate for items greater than 30″x20″ shall not exceed $6 per item.
- Hourly Rates: For 1-4 passengers, Sedan/Mini Van $60; Van/Safari (14 pax capacity) $70; Safari $90. Rates for additional passengers will be negotiated between the taxi operator and passenger(s).
- Sightseeing Tours: One passenger $70; two or more passengers $35 per person. Limited time of tour is 2 hours.
St. John Taxi Rules of Operation & Special Provisions
Taxi drivers must adhere to the Virgin Islands Taxi Commissions Rules and Regulations governing taxi operations while on duty. These rules are presented here but are not inclusive.
- Access to Tariffs: The tariff must be posted in all public vehicles used as a taxi.
- Passenger Behavior/Pets: A taxi operator, while on duty, shall not refuse any passenger unless the passenger is intoxicated or disorderly, or in possession of a pet or animal (other than a seeing-eye dog) that is not properly secured in a kennel case or other suitable container. There shall be no charge for the seeing-eye dog.
- On Duty Signage: All taxis must have “on duty/off duty” signs posted on the dashboard of their vehicle and shall have installed lighted dome sign when which shall be lighted while on duty.
- Passenger Pick Up: When “on duty”, taxis must pick up the passenger going in the same direction, unless as stipulated in provisions whereby a person requested and hired taxi exclusively for themselves, or a contract or franchise has been awarded to a specific group of persons.
- Passenger Drop-off: All passengers must be discharged at their precise requested locations when fare is accepted or agreed to.
- Taxi Driver Behavior: A taxi operator must be courteous to passengers at all times. Aggressive or profane language shall not be tolerated.
- Vehicle Condition/Operator: Taxi operators must be clean and shall always be neatly attired. (No tank tops, halters, slippers, cut offs, or shirt tails out.)
- Violating Tariff Rate Schedule: Taxi operators found exceeding or undercutting the official tariff will be cited by the Virgin Islands Taxicab Commission’s Enforcement Officers for violation of the tariff rate schedule. No organization or independent operator may set any special rates without approval of the Virgin Islands Taxicab Commission.