Taxi and luxury car services in St. Thomas include airport transfers, rides to and from your hotel or villa, shopping & beach trips, transportation to and from dinner, group and wedding transportation, and sightseeing tours.
Taxis are a popular transportation choice for visitors to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. Taxis in St. Thomas are not metered. Taxi rates are per person and by destination. There is St. Thomas taxi information below including: list of taxis, FAQs, tips, the 2022 taxi rate tables, additional taxi charges for things like luggage, taxi regulations and private taxi rates.
Luxury transportation services available in St. Thomas include luxury car, black car, limousine, chauffeur, and security transportation services.
Trust trained, certified and devoted Islander Taxi Service Inc. professionals will be available and on call at your convenience to meet you at the airport on your arrival or to bid you a safe passage as you depart our island paradise. Service is also available to and from your hotel or villa. COVID 19: We are committed to our customers safety and comfort, we are offering and encouraging private transportation and services, rather than shared taxis. Give us a call or text at (340) 642-7278, or email us. We look forward to assisting you with your transportation needs.
Samuel Dependable Services (SDS) is a business built on integrity, lead by experienced law enforcement, and providing phenomenal customer service. The president and CEO, Lisa and Selden Samuel are decorated Police Sergeants to the territory with combined service of 50 years. This duo has protected and served the community of the Virgin Islands with the utmost of respect; and has impeccable knowledge of the streets and byways to give customer service and transportation needs to our locals and tourist alike. This team provides private weekly transportation, day to day transportation, airport transfers and much more. Contacting us will be an experience you will never forget!
It Could be Worse “ICBW” is a transportation provider on St. Thomas offering limo services, and private car services for wheelchair users. Luxury options for non-disabled guests include island tours of St. Thomas and St. John, beach stops, airport and resort transfers, weddings, events, and more. Accessible options for visitors and residents include island tours, beach stops, airport and resort transfers, events, transportation to doctor’s appointments, and more. We have an accessible van, and we rent motorized and standard wheelchairs, and four-wheel scooters. Get in touch with us today to discuss your transportation needs. We look forward to the opportunity to help you experience our island paradise.
Black & White offers the most complete tours, along with airport, hotel, villa, and dinner transfers in the beautiful island of St. Thomas, VI. We are a family owned and operated business with over 15 years of experience. We are native Virgin Islanders living in the beautiful island of St. Thomas. We are knowledgeable, friendly, and punctual. Service always comes with a smile. We offer all of our services in both English & Spanish, as we are fully bilingual. Call/text or Email us today!
At Loyal Legacy we are committed to our customers' safety and comfort. It is our pleasure to provide private transportation to and from the destination of choice. Our most important mission is to provide every guest with a wonderful experience on St. Thomas in one of our well-appointed executive vehicles. Our drivers are friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. For your transportation needs, contact us at (340) 642-0000. Discretion guaranteed.
JS Miller Taxi and Tours is a leading provider of private taxi, sightseeing tours, and limo service. We provide transportation to and from the airport, ferry docks, hotels, villas, yachts, beaches, or cruise ships, all in air-conditioned comfort. Our company is family-owned and operated, and we treat every guest like part of our family. Our most important mission is to provide every guest with a wonderful experience on St. Thomas in one of our clean and well-maintained vehicles. Our drivers are friendly, knowledgeable, and professional. Seven days a week, we are just a phone call, email, or text away.
VI Top Taxi offers amazing tours, airport transfers, private transport, large/small group & private tours. We have a 14 seater van which can transport you and your party with comfort and relaxation. Our tour guide Nami has a wide knowledge of places to visit and unique landmarks worth visiting. Our tours are driven by passion for creating unforgettable experiences!
At Paradise Taxi and Tours USVI, we pride ourselves on being the leading taxi and tour-based company in the US Virgin Islands; covering the beautiful island of St. Thomas. As evident from our 5-star customer reviews we offer professional, comfortable and reliable transportation and tour services. Book us today for a private airport transfer or transportation to and from hotels/villas, marinas, ferries and cruise docks. Private jet transfers are also available. Don’t forget to ask about our variety of sightseeing and beach tours. Languages: English, Spanish and Arabic. Remember “Your Destination is Our Goal!” Contact Us Today!
FAQs about using Taxis in St. Thomas
- Do taxis in St. Thomas accept credit cards? Some taxis accept credit cards, but the majority of taxis in St. Thomas are cash only. Credit card customers should alert the dispatcher or taxi driver of their intent to pay with a credit card prior to boarding the vehicle.
- What vehicle types are used as taxis in St. Thomas? Vehicles most commonly used by St. Thomas’ taxi drivers include vans, safari trucks, and SUVs. There are a few accessible taxis in St. Thomas, some limo and luxury taxi options, and a couple of party buses.
- How do I identify a taxi in St. Thomas? Licensed taxi vehicles in St. Thomas have a taxi placard or dome light on the roof, license plates that indicate taxi status, on duty/off duty sign in the windshield of the vehicle and a sign usually on the fender that indicates passenger capacity. The driver’s identification/taxi license should be on the vehicle’s dashboard.
- Are taxis safe in Thomas? Licensed St. Thomas taxis are safe, reliable, and well regulated by the Virgin Islands Taxicab Commission.
- Are taxis expensive in St. Thomas? Taxi rates in St. Thomas are per person and by destination. Costs can add up if you are planning for frequent outings, or when traveling as a group. Look at the taxi rate tables on this page to help you estimate your transportation costs based on the places you plan to go.
- I think I was overcharged by a taxi on St. Thomas, how do I check? Taxi rates in St. Thomas are set by destination, per person by the Virgin Islands Taxicab Commission. The rates were updated in 2022. You can find them on this page, below. Additionally, the taxi tariffs card called “Island of St. Thomas Motor Vehicles For Hire Official Minimum/Maximum Rates” must be posted in all public vehicles used as a taxi. If you don’t see it, you can ask the driver to see a copy.
- Are taxis available everywhere in St. Thomas? Taxis are almost always available at the cruise ship docks (when ships are in port), at the airport (when arriving flights are scheduled), within the tourist shopping districts (during normal store hours), at the most popular beaches (during normal daytime hours), and outside the lobby of large resorts. You can also call for a taxi or pre-arrange taxi service.
- Will taxis in St. Thomas take me to my requested destination? The rules of operation for taxi drivers in St. Thomas states: “All passengers must be discharged at their precise requested locations when fare is accepted or agreed to.”
- Tip for people staying in an Airbnb: Some driveways in St. Thomas are steep, narrow, bumpy, and there are a few that are un-paved/dirt. Taxi drivers may be unable or unwilling to navigate such driveways and may suggest that they will drop you off at the entrance to the driveway. To help mitigate this situation ask your Airbnb host what their driveway’s condition is like; and be sure to clearly indicate what your final destination is when discussing the fare with the taxi driver and before boarding the taxi. If there is an issue with where you are discharged, get the driver’s name, taxi license number, and/or the vehicle’s license plate in order to file a complaint.
- I forgot something on a taxi in St. Thomas, is there a lost and found? If you left something on a licensed taxi in St. Thomas, and you do not know the contact information for the driver, then contact the Virgin Islands Taxicab Commission at (340) 693-4211 and provide as much detail as you can about the taxi and lost item(s). Licensed taxi drivers all have radios, and the commission can put out a radio call about your lost item in an effort to locate it.
- I have a compliment or complaint to make about a taxi in St. Thomas. Submit Compliment/Complaint to the VI Taxicab Commission.
Tips for taking Taxis in St. Thomas
- St. Thomas taxi rates are standardized but there are additional fees for things like luggage and waiting. It’s a good idea to speak to the driver and agree to your total rate before boarding the taxi. The total rate for you, your group, your luggage, waiting, making a quick stop at the grocery store, a tour, whatever you have requested, get the total fare.
- Some taxis in St. Thomas can carry up to 26 passengers. Taxi drivers of large vehicles, particular at the cruise ship docks and airport, will wait to fill their vehicle before departing. Here are two things to be aware of related to this situation:
- If you have a schedule to stick to, for catching a ferry or getting back to a cruise ship, be sure to let the taxi dispatcher and driver know.
- Drivers will accommodate multiple groups/individuals in the same vehicle, going in the same general direction but not necessary to the same location. You can therefore expect multiple stops along the way as passengers are discharged at their designated location. Those going to the furthest location will be on the taxi the longest.
- Taxi rates are per person by destination. There is a taxi rate for “two or more passengers”. This rate applies to passengers in the same party/group; and not to two or more passengers on the same vehicle that don’t know each other.
- There are people that run “gypsy taxis” in their personal vehicles. They often hustle outside bars and grocery stores. They are not licensed taxis, and therefore they do not adhere to the regulations set by the Virgin Islands Taxi Commission. “Gypsy taxis” have been around for decades in St. Thomas, they are however use at your own risk.
- For St. Thomas sightseeing tour rates, luggage rates, hourly rates, and other information, see the Additional Taxi Charges Section.
Note Regarding Taxi Rates: New taxi rates went into effect on October 24th, 2022. The 2022 published rates, additional charges and provisions are below.
St. Thomas Taxi Rate Tables
|FROM HOTELS TO/FROM||CHARLOTTE AMALIE||CYRIL E. KING AIRPORT|
|Carib Beach Resort||11.00||9.00||6.00||6.00|
|Danish Chalet Inn||11.00||8.00||12.00||9.00|
|Emerald Beach Resort||11.00||9.00||6.00||6.00|
|Frenchman’s Reef & Cove||12.00||9.00||15.00||12.00|
|Island View Inn||14.00||11.00||12.00||9.00|
|Palms Court Harborview||11.00||8.00||12.00||9.00|
|Pavillions and Pools||21.00||15.00||23.00||17.00|
|Ritz Carlton Resort & Club||23.00||15.00||27.00||18.00|
|Sapphire Beach Resort||21.00||15.00||23.00||17.00|
|Secret Harbor Resort||23.00||15.00||27.00||18.00|
|Windward Passage Hotel||6.00||6.00||11.00||9.00|
|Wyndham Sugar Bay||21.00||15.00||23.00||17.00|
|Yacht Haven – Havensight||6.00||6.00||11.00||9.00|
|MISCELLANEOUS TO/FROM||CHARLOTTE AMALIE||CYRIL E. KING AIRPORT|
|Caret Bay Lower||18.00||12.00||21.00||14.00|
|Caret Bay Upper||20.00||15.00||21.00||14.00|
|Contant Soto Town||9.00||8.00||9.00||8.00|
|Est. Thomas New Quarter||9.00||8.00||11.00||9.00|
|Lower John Dunkoe||11.00||8.00||11.00||9.00|
|Market Square East||12.00||9.00||15.00||12.00|
|St. Peter Mountain||15.00||12.00||18.00||14.00|
|University of the Virgin Islands||11.00||9.00||8.00||8.00|
|West Indian Dock||6.00||6.00||11.00||9.00|
|Within Town Limits||6.00||6.00|
|Bolongo||Market Square East||14.00||11.00|
|Frenchman’s Reef||Mahogany Run||18.00||14.00|
|Frenchman’s Reef||Mountain Top||18.00||14.00|
|Frenchman’s Reef||Market Square East||15.00||12.00|
|Frenchman’s Reef||Magens Bay||18.00||14.00|
|Magens Bay||Crown Bay||18.00||15.00|
|Magens Bay||Havensight (WICO)||15.00||12.00|
|Magens Bay||Mountain Top||15.00||12.00|
|Magens Bay||Sapphire Beach||18.00||14.00|
|Magens Bay||Ritz Carlton||23.00||15.00|
|Mahogany Run||Mountain Top||15.00||12.00|
|Red Hook||Caret Bay||24.00||18.00|
|Red Hook||Crown Mountain||23.00||17.00|
|Red Hook||Market Square East||14.00||11.00|
|Red Hook||Frenchman’s Reef||18.00||15.00|
|Red Hook||Hull Bay||23.00||15.00|
|Red Hook||Mountain Top||23.00||15.00|
|Red Hook||Paradise Point||23.00||17.00|
|Red Hook||Magens Bay||18.00||14.00|
Additional Taxi Charges for St. Thomas
- Unlisted Destination Charges: The taxi charges to areas not listed in the above rate schedule tables shall be arrived at by using the nearest tariffed place crossed to the next tariffed place ahead, based on the one nearest to the passenger’s destination.
- Kennel Charges: Large Kennel $45, Small Kennel $30.
- Round Trip Fares: double the one-way fare plus waiting charges.
- Waiting Charges: $2.00 per minute. First five minutes free.
- Radio/Phone Call: One person, the fare plus one third of the basic fare. More than one person; add $2.00 to each passenger.
- After Hours/Odd Hours: Between midnight and 6:00am, there shall be an additional charge of $3.00 per person.
- Luggage: A flat rate of $3 per bag shall be added to the fare for each passenger. The rate for items greater than 30″x20″ shall not exceed $6 per item.
- Hourly Rates (1-4 passengers): Sedan/Mini Van $60; Van/Safari (14 passenger capacity) $83; Safari $120. Rates for additional passengers will be negotiated between the taxi operator and passengers.
- Sightseeing Tours: 2 hours – One passenger $75; two or more passengers $38 per person. 3 hours – One passenger $90; two or more passengers $45 per person.
St. Thomas Taxi Rules of Operation
Taxi drivers must adhere to the Virgin Islands Taxi Commissions Rules and Regulations governing taxi operations while on duty. These rules are presented here but are not inclusive.
- Access to Tariffs: The tariff must be posted in all public vehicles used as a taxi.
- Passenger Behavior/Pets: A taxi operator, while on duty, shall not refuse any passenger unless the passenger is intoxicated or disorderly, or in possession of a pet or animal (other than a seeing-eye dog) that is not properly secured in a kennel case or other suitable container. There shall be no charge for the seeing-eye dog.
- Taxi Driver Behavior: A taxi operator must be courteous to passengers at all times. Aggressive or profane language shall not be tolerated.
- On Duty Signage: All taxis must have “on duty/off duty” signs posted on the dashboard of their vehicle and shall have installed a lighted dome sign which shall be lighted while on duty.
- Passenger Pick Up: When “on duty”, taxis must pick up the passenger going in the same direction, unless as stipulated in provisions whereby a person requested and hired taxi exclusively for themselves, or a contract or franchise has been awarded to a specific group of persons.
- Final Destination: All passengers must be discharged at their precise requested locations when fare is accepted or agreed to.
- Violating Tariff Rate Schedule: Taxi operators found exceeding or undercutting the official tariff will be cited by the Virgin Islands Taxicab Commission’s Enforcement Officers for violation of the tariff rate schedule. No organization or independent operator may set any special rates without approval of the Virgin Islands Taxicab Commission.
Exclusive Taxis in St. Thomas
Requesting a taxi exclusively for yourself or your group comes at a higher fare. The two routes below are published rates for exclusive taxis. Any other routes must be to be negotiated between taxi operator and passenger(s).
- Airport to Red Hook
$135 for 1-4 passengers, (5 or more passengers add $23 for each additional person).
- Within Town Limits
$83 for 1-4 passengers, (5 or more passengers add $11 for each additional person).