Looking for contact info for Coki Beach Food Vendor  

Please Sign in / Register to take part in discussions about the Virgin Islands.


 
kraushaus
(@kraushaus)
Estimable Member

I was on Coki Beach last week Wednesday and ordered the fresh catch of the day for $20.00. It was red snapper and tasted delicious. The vendor's name was something like A& R or A & S. Well I did get sick from the fish, but it would not have mattered how it was cooked because anyone that ate the fish contaminated by dinoflagellates would get this. I believe I have Ciguatera Fish Poisoning. The weird symptoms have lasted over a week so I went to see my family doctor in Wisconsin. I just want to let the vendor know about this in case they have any other other fish left over so no one else gets sick.

If there is a place on St. Thomas that I should report this to please let me know. I guess there are only about 30 cases of it reported a year in the US.

Quote
Posted : April 24, 2014 10:19 pm
Connie
(@connie)
Noble Member

That's going to be a tough one. You may try to call Coral World and explain your problem and who you think it may be. They might know.

I doubt the vendor has a land line to call.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 25, 2014 8:27 am
STT Resident
(@stt-resident)
Island Expert

Even were you able to locate the particular vendor there is no way for him to determine which, if any, of his catch carries ciguatera. He could have 20 snappers on any given day all caught in the same locale and with only one of them carrying it. No way would he still be selling today the fish he caught last week.

I'd place a good bet that you don't have ciguatera. You might find this article helpful:

http://www.whoi.edu/science/B/redtide/illness/ciguatera_fish_poisoning.html

Hope you feel better soon!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 25, 2014 9:12 am
kraushaus
(@kraushaus)
Estimable Member

I ended up calling the ER on St. Thomas to find out if I needed to report this or not. They said nothing is reported unless I had been treated by them. They also told me that just because one fish has it doesn't mean the rest of the fish did. Apparently there is no way of detecting its presence in a fish. They said not to worry about contacting the vendor because they would not still have fish a week old.

I presented to my family doctor a week after having the fish and getting sick with continued fatigue and strange numbness, itching, and the worst is my sensitivity to cold - I get a burning sensation on my hands and feet when touching something cold. I thought my doctor would think I was nuts when I went to see him. I was also concerned that I might have MS, but I thought I was too old for MS to show up now - my Dad had it. Thank you for the link that you sent. I think it might have been one of many articles that I have read in the last couple of days. I think Ciguatera Fish Poisoning is what I have. My doctor was looking into it further this weekend and I am supposed to call him back on Monday.

From what I read there is no specific treatment for this and the symptoms could last up to 6 months. I read that I need to stay away from fish, alcohol, nuts and salt. My symptoms do seem to get worse when I eat something with a high sodium content. I really hope this goes away soon, but I guess it is better than having MS that lasts for the rest of your life.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 27, 2014 2:05 am
Alana33
(@alana33)
Prominent Member

You could probably contact the Dept. of Health and/or Fish & Wildlife.
I believe someone tracks ciguatera cases on island but not sure who, exactly.
I've never had it but know people that have.
They cannot eat fish anymore as they now get sick when they do.

This is a bit afield but could you have Dengue Fever?
Some of the symtoms rather sound like it. Especially the fatigue and itching.
Dengue I have had twice. Not fun.
Good luck and get better soon.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 28, 2014 9:47 am
Close Menu
VInow Logo

The US Virgin Islands Best Guide

Not a Member?