Taxis are a popular transportation choice for visitors to St. John. The most popular taxi vehicle used is the open air safari (converted trucks; truck beds are customized with bench seating in an open-air covered area). Taxis on St. John are not metered; rates are per person and per destination and are set by the VI Taxicab Division. Taxi Rate Sheets are provided below.
- Taxis are almost always available at the ferry dock in Cruz Bay (during regular ferry schedule hours) and also at hotels. They frequently wait for passengers at the taxi stand area at Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay.
- Licensed taxi vehicles are labeled with: a taxi placard or dome light on the roof, license plates that indicate Taxi status, On Duty/Off Duty sign in the window of the vehicle and a sign, usually on the fender, indicating passenger capacity. The drivers personal identification/taxi license should be on the vehicles dash board.
- Although rates are standardized it is recommended that you speak to the driver and agree to your total rate (for you, your group, your luggage, waiting, tour) before boarding the taxi.
- Many taxis are multi-destination and some can carry up to 26 passengers; drivers will often wait to fill their vehicle before departing (particularly from the ferry dock and popular beach locations like Trunk Bay and Cinnamon Bay).
- See the Special Provisions Section after the rate sheets for sightseeing tour rates, luggage rates, private taxi rates, weekly rates and other information.
|CRUZ BAY TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+ / EACH|
|Bethany Moravian Church||6.00||5.00|
|Caneel Bay Plantation||6.00||5.00|
|Chateau de Bordeaux||9.00||8.00|
|Desoto Bock House (East End)||25.00||15.00|
|Maho Bay Beach||11.00||7.00|
|Great Cruz Bay||6.00||5.00|
|Maho Bay Campground||13.00||9.00|
|Rendezous Bay (Cline Bay)||8.00||6.00|
|Reef Bay Trail||9.00||7.00|
|Vie’s (East End)||25.00||15.00|
|CORAL BAY TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+ / EACH|
|Caneel Bay (via Northshore)||13.00||9.00|
|Desoto Bock House (East End)||9.00||6.00|
|John’s Folly School||6.00||5.00|
|Little Maho Bay||9.00||6.00|
|Trunk Bay (via Centerline)||19.00||13.00|
|Trunk Bay (via North Shore)||9:00||6.00|
|Vie’s (East End)||8.00||7.00|
|GALLOWS POINT TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+ / EACH|
|Maho Bay Beach||11.00||8.00|
|Maho Bay Campground||13.00||9.00|
|CANEEL BAY TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+ / EACH|
|Coral Bay (Via Centerline)||18.00||10.00|
|Maho Bay Beach||10.00||7.00|
|Maho Bay Campground||12.00||8.00|
|WESTIN RESORT TO/FROM:||1 PERSON||2+ / EACH|
|Maho Bay Beach||12.00||9.00|
|Maho Bay Campground||15.00||11.00|
|Chateau Bordeaux To/From:||1 PERSON||2+ / EACH|
Special Provisions for Taxi Operators
- The charges to areas not listed in the above schedule shall be arrived at by using the nearest tariffed place crossed to the next tariffed place ahead, based on one nearest to the passenger’s destination.
- Taxi operators with On-duty sign on shall not refuse a passenger, unless the passenger is intoxicated and disorderly or in possession of a pet or animal (other than a seeing eye dog) that is not properly secured in a kennel case or other suitable container. There shall be no extra charge for seeing-eye dogs.
- Kennel Charges: Large Kennel – $30, Small Kennel – $20.
- Round trip fares: double the one-way fare plus waiting charges.
- Waiting charges: $1.00 per minute. First five minutes free.
- Radio/Phone Call: One person, the fare plus one third of the basic fare. More than one person; add $1.00 to each passenger.
- Between midnight and 6:00am, there shall be an additional charge of $2.00 per person.
- Any person requesting a taxi exclusively for themselves: rate to be negotiated between the taxi operator and passenger(s).
- Luggage: A flat rate of $2 per bag shall be added to the fare for each passenger. The rate for items greater than 30″x20″ shall not exceed $4 per item.
- Hourly Rates (1-4 passengers): Sedan/Mini Van $40; Van/Safari(14 pax capacity) $55; Safari $80. Rates for additional passengers will be negotiated between the taxi operator and passenger(s).
- All passengers must be discharged at their precise requested locations when fare is accepted and agreed to.
- Sightseeing Tours: 2 hours – One passenger $50; two or more passengers $25 per person. 3 hours – One passenger $70; two or more passengers $35 per person.
ST. JOHN VACATION KIT
2 guidebooks, 2 maps and a fish/snorkeling ID card!
This is a complete planning kit for St. John. Five easy-to-use travel planning guides for exploring the trails, beaches and roads on St. John, Virgin Islands.
Order Today: $55.75