The beautiful yellow customs house sits in the lawn in front of the fort. The customs house was the third building in a local chain of commerce. After merchants passed through the scale house on the Christiansted waterfront their next stop was the custom house to pay taxes. The construction of the building reflects both European style and the modifications necessary for island living; for example the welcoming arms staircase graces the front of the building and then the addition of hurricane shutters shows the need to protect the building from the elements. This building dates back to 1734 when it was a single story bookkeeper’s residence. Later additions included the second floor.