Virgin Islands
Important Notice, September 2017: Hurricanes Irma and Maria have caused widespread damage in the U.S. Virgin Islands. We look forward to welcoming you back to our islands as soon as we can. Please follow the islands’ rebuilding and recovery on our VInow.com Recovery Blog.
VInow Logo
The Virgin Islands Best On-line Guide
Cruise Ship Schedule Ferry Schedule Forum

jimylewis

Registered
05/07/2013

recent airfare pricing

February 22, 2016 10:02PM

We normally come down in May, sometimes later, but never earlier. This year, we're planning on coming the last full week in April, and we're running into a huge airfare spike (approx 75 percent more than what we've paid for 5 or 6 years). My first guess was that it was still considered to be 'in season" enough to warrant the elevated prices, but even when I price them out later into summer, the prices are still much higher than normal.

Does anyone have any idea what has been going on in the last few months for pricing to be like this? Are there local factors I'm unaware of? I'm not exactly a frequent flier, but I also don't think I'm a fool, but this might just prove me wrong.

STT Resident

Registered
09/19/2005

Re: recent airfare pricing

February 23, 2016 07:08AM

The last week of April is the final week of the St Thomas Carnival - huge influx of visitors along with Virgin Islanders living stateside coming home for the celebrations!

jimylewis

Registered
05/07/2013

February 24, 2016 11:59AM

Ah, it's nice to hear it's a rationale reason and not just the airlines jerking us around. Ended up finding a good option with JetBlue last night, so we're set. Thanks for the info!

John

Registered
12/05/2005

February 24, 2016 10:52PM

Make sure you go to Food Fair and enjoy Carnival 2016!

Bluwater

Registered
06/13/2005

May 09, 2016 12:32PM

Seems that gone are the days of decent fares and routes from Philadelphia. We've always enjoyed our usair connection PHL - STT. Now, with AA, we are facing 14-23 hour travel times and $600-$700 tix. However, JFK seems to offer a consistent fare of $350-$400 and non stop routing. We are going to eat the cost of driving to and parking in New York, which is still a savings as we are traveling as a party of 7.

~Blu

*Here is the link to the FAQ post with lots of links from former posts covering some of our most popular topics: [www.vinow.com]

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login / Register

Stay up to date with news from VInow.

Advertise with Us

Join VInow.com Today!

Connect with travelers that are planning vacations right here, right now. More

Virgin Islands Moving Guides

Updated information dedicated to Moving and Living in the USVI.

VI Moving Center

Living in de V.I. DVD

Virgin Islands Shopping

The largest section of Virgin Islands Books & Souvenirs. Start planning today!

VITraders.com

Official Sponsor
Team Virgin Islands
X