Virgin Islands
Important Notice, September 2017: Hurricanes Irma and Maria have caused widespread damage in the U.S. Virgin Islands. We look forward to welcoming you back to our islands as soon as we can. Please follow the islands’ rebuilding and recovery on our VInow.com Recovery Blog.
VInow Logo
The Virgin Islands Best On-line Guide
Cruise Ship Schedule Ferry Schedule Forum

em_1369

Registered
09/03/2017

Murders

September 03, 2017 02:19PM

I was reading about the murder rate on St Thomas and it is very high but I also read on some websites by locals that those murders and crimes are mainly if you get involved with drugs or just the wrong people. I was wondering if this was true or not?

mtdoramike

Registered
03/16/2013

Re: Murders

September 03, 2017 08:38PM

It's called being in the wrong place at the wrong time and yes, they are mainly due to drugs. Back street is just one of those areas that tourist and locals alike shouldn't go.

Earthstar

Registered
09/04/2017

September 04, 2017 09:49PM

Before I went I was told to go where lots of tourists go, only be out during daylight, and when the cruise ships reboard, go inside and stay there. It's worth the trip but be cautious. Drugs are hidden in plain sight but there is safety in numbers and in daylight, together.

beachboy

Registered
06/01/2007

September 06, 2017 11:02AM

"only be out during daylight"

Sorry but that is absolute nonsense. There is a very active nightlife on St Thomas enjoyed by both travelers and locals. The safety rules on island are pretty much the same as every place else: avoid dark alleys, don't go looking for drugs, and use common sense.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login / Register

Stay up to date with news from VInow.

Advertise with Us

Join VInow.com Today!

Connect with travelers that are planning vacations right here, right now. More

Virgin Islands Moving Guides

Updated information dedicated to Moving and Living in the USVI.

VI Moving Center

Living in de V.I. DVD

Virgin Islands Shopping

The largest section of Virgin Islands Books & Souvenirs. Start planning today!

VITraders.com

Official Sponsor
Team Virgin Islands
X