Virgin Islands

The Virgin Islands Best On-Line Guide

b.lein

cell phone providers on st thomas

April 09, 2008 12:51PM

Could you tell me what providers there are one the island, like us cellular,verizon,etc. Which services work for calling the mainland , while we are visiting. I have checked with my own which is US Cellular and they do not. Thanks.......B.

IAMolly

Registered
04/24/2007

Re: cell phone providers on st thomas

April 09, 2008 01:52PM

US Cellular will work on STT and STJ but be prepared for a very large cell phone bill. We brought our US Cellular cell phones last year for a one week stay and only used it sparingly, our bill was still over $600. They do not consider the USVI part of their nationwide plan. We still use US Cellular stateside, But considering that we own property and visit STT about every 2 or 3 months we did purchase a plan with AT&T wich does recognize the USVI as part of it's nationwide plan. If you are not a frequent traveler to the USVI's then I would purchase a track phone.

If you can, leave your US Cellular phone at home. We've found out the hard way that even if you use your cell phone for the trip down and shut the phone off and forward your calls to a local number you will be charged for the first minute while the call is forwarded.

RickG

Registered
09/19/2006

April 09, 2008 02:02PM

My Cingular/ATT works great. Voice and data are included in the nationwide plan. Just be careful that you do not roam.

Cheers, RickG

goingback

Registered
03/18/2008

April 09, 2008 02:22PM

How about Sprint? Does it charge for roaming? My teenage daughter gets text messages like crazy - just wondering what to expect.

debandbob

Registered
04/07/2007

April 09, 2008 03:09PM

We have used our cell phones which are AT&T and they work fine on St. Thomas. Not sure about the other islands. We have never paid a roaming charge as USVI and PR are part of their nationwide calling network.

dntw8up

Registered
09/14/2005

April 09, 2008 03:34PM

goingback: I live on STT and have Sprint.

goingback

Registered
03/18/2008

April 09, 2008 04:21PM

dntw8up - Thanks! That means I don't have to worry about roaming charges. With my plan, that is the only "extra" I get charged.

dntw8up

Registered
09/14/2005

April 10, 2008 12:50AM

goingback: You're very welcome. Also, you can turn off your phone's roaming feature so if you spend time on STJ you don't risk having your phone connect through the BVI (international charge). I haven't had this problem but I have heard others have, and not just with Sprint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/10/2008 12:51AM by dntw8up.

Join the discussion. Click the button below to Login or Register now!

Click here to login / Register

Stay up to date with news from VInow.

Advertise with Us

Join VInow.com Today!

Connect with travelers that are planning vacations right here, right now. More

Sister Sites

VI Moving Center

Virgin Islands Moving Guide

Living in de V.I. DVD

USVI Shopping

VITraders.com

The largest section of USVI Books & Souvenirs. Start planning today! Shop